Monday, February 10, 2014

Let's Just Have Fun...The Answers and Proof that I am Fun

You've been heard, my friends.  You love to have fun and many of you make craft beer your "go-to good time".  Cheers! Skoal! Salute! You might be drunks and I love you.  The result are in with a surprisingly fast response from you all.  Few individuals were stumped by our question of the week: 
"How Do You Have Fun?"
  • Hang out and be awesome
  • I give out high-fives, go to movies, drink craft beer, and partake in taco-y parties with friends.
  • Run-drink beers, work out-drink beers, bike-drink beers
  • Samba with my dogs
  • Experience anything new! Travel to new places, see new things, meet new people! I have an adventurous spirit and love novelty and variety! Learning something new just feeds my soul...
  • Paint, create, and try delicious food.
  • Surprising people with seriously fun and unexpected things.
  •  I love to run and I think it is fun. I actually think it is so fun that sometimes when I'm done running I think I wish I hadn't just ran so I could run right now! (Clearly this was not me)
  • Knit things for people I love.
  • Garden, grow things, and eat fresh food.
And now, for some proof that I like to do things other than drink beer....
 
 A FUN excursion for a couple of nerds.....

This weekend I spent 24 glorious hours 30 miles away from my home.  Ryan and I drove to his Alma Mater,  Iowa State and stayed right on campus at the memorial Union. In my previous post, I mentioned my love of food. This particular get-away proves my/our obsession with delicious morsels our lovely state has to offer.

We may have only made it to Ames, but we took a culinary trip much further than that. Our first stop was one of Ryan's old hang outs, Cafe Beaudlaire, a little Latin American venue with lovely selection of beer and fantastic food.  We began our evening feast with Cheese Empanadas & fresh salsa, and Yucca Fries with garlic mayonnaise.  YUM!!

Stop number 2 took us literally around the corner to India Palace (Formerly a California Pizza Kitchen, of course.).   We continued to share our food (more for everyone) and magnificently ordered 2 very different, but ridiculously complementary dishes.  Matar Paneer (cheese curds, peas, and onions in a creamy tomato sauce) and Shrimp Tandoori (sizzling hot shrimp with onions and pepper).  Even the Garlic Naan and Rice were perfect done.  Seriously, the rice was so shiny and fresh....how did that happen??  As I write this, I realize I don't have a picture of these masterpieces! The fury!!

To end the night, we shared a bottle of Old Vine Zinfindel and some Sea Salt and Almond Dark Chocolate that I snuck in my suitcase.  I like to pack some "heat" when I travel.  Well done, me!!

We woke as we commonly do on Sunday mornings to the loving sound of Charles Osgood hosting yet another edition of CBS Sunday morning.  I Always get a little sad at 9am, thinking the show is over, then quietly cheering inside as I remember that CBS ever-so-intelligently made the show 1 &1/2 hours long! The extra half hour, people!! Extra!

After a quick refueling at the breakfast bar with several cups of coffee and a bagel, we headed to the only non-food destination on our itinerary,  Rieman Gardens.  This is definitely the time of year to take advantage of indoor activities in your neck of the woods.  At a whopping 5 degrees, we ran painfully from the toasty car into face-cracking air and into tropical paradise.

In less time than we spend in any of the restaurants, we visited the Butterfly Garden, Orchid Show, and some cactus room (By this time I was hungry again so I'm not sure where we were.) I can't wait to pack a lunch and visit the outdoor gardens this summer.

 Displaying photo 1.JPGDisplaying photo 2.JPGDisplaying photo 3.JPG

Our final stop was The Cafe on the North side of Ames.  You must, I plead with you, take a trip to this place. Because we are so adventurous, we decided to try 3 entrees; The Salmon Sandwich with capers and other deliciousness,  Chorizo Biscuits and Gravy, and The Breakfast Slate (kind of a breakfast Charcuterie.  Of course, topped off with a Mimosa for Ryan and a glass of Aria Cava for me.

There are no words to describe my satisfaction. We literally sat in silence as we scraped gravy from our bowls to get the last lick. Once we were stuffed, we rested then ate a little more. Finally, we decided to stop, waddle out, and take the scenic route home for added "exercise".

I wish I loved exercise this much. All of this was in our stomachs. Unbelievable!



So there you have it.  How we have fun...me, you, and random people. Get out there and enjoy yourself....and wear big pants if you plan to eat like this.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment